Friday, March 8, 2013

Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza
Publishing Company: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult—Science Fiction
Pages: 480
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Goodreads

Summary
Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past —that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity–style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.
—Goodreads
A copy was provided for review purposes

Review
Mila 2.0 is the first science fiction novel that I've liked in a long time. And when I say long, I mean that it probably has been approximately a year since I've given any science fiction book above a three star rating.
From the very first page, I was skeptical up until Mila discovers who she really is: a lab experiment. She develops a crush on a guy named Hunter, has a best friend, and lives her life the way any teen would up until that moment. Then, before she can even blink, her life is turned upside down, her mom  and her are running, and a government society is doing the chasing. Sounds pretty intense right? I loved it! There was always anxiety in the plot, from being on the run, and there was always a sense of danger that you couldn't explain but you knew was going to seriously mess with your head later on.
As Mila learns the extent to which her powers reach, she begins to think of herself as less and less a human and rather a machine, a monster, a piece of trash because she was "made" wrong and had too many emotions. My heart went out to Mila because she was regarded as a waste of space that should've been put down when these scientists were given the chance and I was like, "No way. You are totally sick." I just wanted to wrap Mila in an awkward bear hug and tell her it would be okay in the end. If anything, Mila 2.0 is a story of survival, and finding yourself.
However, despite how amazing Mila 2.0 is, I do have to highlight the character of Hunter. Since Mila develops a crush on him in the very beginning, I thought that he would end up being part of this evil conspiracy that created her. But he never showed up until the very end, and if he hadn't showed up and another character had taken his place, it wouldn't have mattered one single bit. I really hope the sequel explains why Hunter was placed into the story since he did nothing but further the plot in the beginning and then dropped off the face of the Earth for the rest. By the end of Mila 2.0, where he made a reappearance, I just wanted him to leave the story, in the nicest possible way. I loved him in the beginning, but I wish he played a more significant role because my mind always drifted back to how much focus was put on him in the beginning and how come he wasn't showing up yet.
Mila 2.0 is a debut by Debra Driza that will not only capture the hearts of science fiction fans but any fan that loves a well-paced novel that involves a conspiracy of sorts. This one will not let you down!

9 comments :

  1. My review for this goes up next week!! I really liked this too. I have some thoughts on Hunter. I don't think that he was just some crazy boy crush tool! I think he does have something to do with it all. His parents "always working" won't notice he's gone. He takes an instant liking to Mila and just ups and leaves to go help her when he barely knows her? No, I think he's definitely working for someone. It doesn't mean I don't think he's going to end up falling for her and want to protect her though. I really liked Lucas though. I truly believe he's a good guy and I hope he makes a reappearance in the series. (Ugh, but then there would be a love triangle) I DON'T KNOW!!! Okay, before I go on and on about my theories and end up confusing everyone in your comment thread I will just go. *Runs off*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Eileen, I finished this yesterday and I have not arranged my thoughts yet. But I liked this book a lot. I wanted to hug Mila, too. She is definitely human for me
    Well, I loved Lucas more than Hunter. But maybe Hunter will show up more in the second book
    I will definitely read the second book, of course
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I'm happy you enjoyed it I go into it this weekend! I've also noticed a lot of very underwhelming science fiction novels this past year so it's a relief that this one stands out. I love science experiments gone wrong, or gone rebel! >.<

    Gifs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to this one. I love a story of survival, and it's mixed with science fiction. >.< I can't wait! Wonderful review.


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this book and I think Hunter will have a bigger part to play in the next book, at least I hope since I really like him. I love your gifs, btw. Great review!

    Vivian
    Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I think I'm going to have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg yes! Hunter is the RANDOMEST character I have read in a very long time.. he shows up in the beginning.. then POOF gone.. then the end.. I'm like WTH?? especially that last chapter made me go crazy because she is somehow hopelessly in love with him and I'm like.. umm.. when did this happen?
    still romance aside, I liked everything about this book!!

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really looking forward to this one! I haven't read a sci-fi novel in a pretty long time, but I think it's time for me to get back into them! Great review, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this book to, and I hope we see more of Hunter in the sequel. I have questions about him to. I just hope he isn't involved in a way we haven't seen yet. I hope we see more of Lucas to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!