Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Who Says by Selena Gomez

Tuney Tuesdays is a weekly meme that JB Kantt at J.A.Y.A.! and I (Eileen) at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain*** host. It's really easy! Just:
  • Once a week, on Tuesday, choose a song that you might be really into that particular week.
  • Include a video/cover art for that single if there is one (or the button for Tuney Tuesdays that I've made up. I'll put it later in the post.) 
  • Include the lyrics
  • Write what you like about it in a review. Or write a few sentences about how it inspires you. Or how it relates to a book that you've been reading.
  • If you don't want to do your own song, you can use one of the songs that I (Eileen) or JB Kantt at J.A.Y.A.! have done for this week!




This week's feature is:

Song: Who Says
Artist: Selena Gomez
Record Label: Hollywood Records
Genre: Pop
Album: A Year Without Rain
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lyrics
I wouldn't wanna be anybody else, hey
You made me insecure, to me I wasn't good enough
But who are you to judge
When you're a diamond in the rough

I'm sure you got some things
You'd like to change about yourself
But when it comes to me
I wouldn't want to be anybody else

I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me
You got every right to a beautiful life, come on

Who says, who says you're not perfect
Who says you're not worth it
Who says you're the only one that's hurting
Trust me that's the price of beauty
Who says you're not pretty
Who says you're not beautiful, who says?
It's such a funny thing
How nothing's funny when it's you
You tell 'em what you mean
But they keep whitin' out the the truth
It's like the work of art
That never get to see the light
Keep you beneath the stars
Won't let you touch the sky

I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me
You got every right to a beautiful life, come on
Who says, who says you're not perfect
Who says you're not worth it
Who says you're the only one that's hurting
Trust me that's the price of beauty
Who says you're not pretty
Who says you're not beautiful, who says?
Who says you're not star potential
Who says you're not presidential
Who says you can't be in movies
Listen to me, listen to me

Who says you don't pass the test
Who says you can't be the best
Who said, who said?
Would you tell me who said that, yeah
Who said

Who says, who says you're not perfect
Who says you're not worth it
Who says you're the only one that's hurting
Trust me that's the price of beauty
Who says you're not pretty
Who says you're not beautiful, who says?

Who says you're not perfect
Who says you're not worth it
Who says you're the only one that's hurting
Trust me that's the price of beauty
Who says you're not pretty
Who says you're not beautiful, who says?

Review
I think this is a really great inspirational song. It's basically saying, "You may not be perfect, but you're still great." This song is pretty straightforward. There aren't really any hidden meanings to this song, and that's what I like about it. However, that's where the song also suffers because it's so straightforward that you don't really have to think about it. Selena Gomez is more of a performer for children and tweens, not really the teenagers and adults of the world who would probably want a little more for their brain to digest.

Aside from that, this is still a really inspirational song because of the message it portrays quite loudly, and her voice in this. It's really perfect for this song and I think she sings it great. Taylor once did a duet with Selena with this, and I thought it was magical. They did it on Taylor's Speak Now World Tour. I didn't attend that concert, but I saw it on YouTube. They have great voices and are also great friends.

I'd recommend this song most to the people who may have low self-esteem because they've been bullied, or have some imperfection about them. The truth is that the imperfection doesn't matter. Nobody's perfect, so you might as well get over it now and just live life the way you want to live it. And, by doing that, it's saying you're perfect because you aren't afraid of who you are and what other may say about it.

And the people who still make fun of you or give you grief? They're jealous that you can act that way about life. Even if you don't do that now, they're jealous of you for what perfections you do have. And they flaunt the imperfections to make themselves feel better about themselves, like, "Oh, she's not that good if she has a big nose and small eyes." Just remember that the next time you feel out of place. I know that I will.

That's another reason I love writing these reviews. I get to put in my own two cents about what I think an inspirational song means and get to learn something as I write, because I realize it. That's something that books can't spark in you, so I'm glad to love music and books, because while books will make you feel happy and elated, music also does that on occasion and you can really learn something about yourself that just sparks while writing a song review.

2 comments :

  1. Great song!
    It's been in my itunes inspiration songs playlist for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song... I don't really like Selena Gomez, but I have to admit this song is pretty good!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    Riya (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!