Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe


Author: Megan Crewe
Publishing Company: Disney-Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult—Dystopian
Pages: 309
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Summary
It starts with an itch you just can’t shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you’ll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you’re dead.

When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back.

Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.

Because how will she go on if there isn’t?

Review
So I'm reading his for my book club that I'm in at school. I've heard fantastic things about this book, and so naturally I wanted to give it a go and full-heartedly supported the decision. I really like the cover. Usually, lots of covers focus on the picture and less on the title, so I think it was really ingenious to turn the tables and catch somebody's attention because of the individuality of it. I think that really was an ingenious idea.

This book is told over the span of a few months, in Kaelyn's point of view. The interesting thing, however, is it's told in journal entries. Some are letters to Leo that she wants to send but can't because of the disease that's running loose. At first, I didn't find her perspective believable, an instead thought most of the time I was just reading a book instead of getting to know the character and their surroundings. As the book progressed, I saw the ups of having it in diary format, but I think it would have worked better if Kaelyn just told the story.

When the disease was initially introduced, Kaelyn's family is warned by her dad to stay inside, stay away from everybody who shows the symptoms, to run. And Kaelyn listens to him and I found that really annoying how she would just run away and listen to her dad. I know that I would probably take that line of defense, but the way that Kaelyn went through with it, it gave off the impression that she was this huge coward.

And then, ***SPOILER ALERT*** Kaelyn gets the virus, but she's magically healed for some reason, and she starts prancing around like it's no biggie that she has the virus. She thinks that she's immune even though she only sort of is. I'd still be really careful, but Kaelyn flaunts it like it's nobody's business and ends up losing many people because of her idiocy. In my opinion, that's what it seemed like. ***SPOILER END***

I really did enjoy the book, despite the problems I had. I think this was a great twist on the dystopian genre because it was a different idea that not a lot of authors have touched upon. A lot of people choose to go with the direction of a world where something's already happened that makes it a dystopia, but in this book, you go through the motions that transforms it into a dystopia. That was definitely one of the pluses of it all.

The romance in here comes near the last half of the book, so I can't consider this romance, just romance included. I think that some people throw around the term "romance" quite freely (including me) and as long as it has some romance, it's considered romance. But I also take into account the plot. Is most or some of the plot occurring because of the heroine's love for her love interest? If yes, then I think of it as a romance. If the person's just there, then I don't. That's what I think happened here. Of course, I don't think of it as a bad thing, just as a warning to anybody who wants a book that could be classified as romance. At least, in my book.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!