Monday, April 23, 2012

Every Last Kiss by Courtney Cole

Every Last Kiss (The Bloodstone Saga, #1)
Author: Courtney Cole
Publishing Company: Lakehouse Press
Genre: Young Adult—Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Romance
Pages: eBook
Release Date: April 21, 2011
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Summary
Born a goddess. Controlled by the Fates. Can Macy's love for her soul mate survive the bonds of time... and death?

17-year old Macy Lockhart is as far from normal as any one girl can be. The problem is, she doesn’t know it yet.

After a bloodstone pendant is mysteriously left on her door, Macy’s life begins to change in ways she’d never dreamed. And while she will eventually come to realize that nothing is ever what it seems, that her life is a tangled web of lies and the Fates themselves pull the strings, for now she is left with only the explanations that they offer her.

Macy is led to believe that if she doesn’t return to a previous doomed life, one in which she served as Queen Cleopatra ‘s handmaiden, the fate of the entire world will be threatened in a way that would destroy history as we know it. She learns that she has lived thousands of lives, each one ending tragically…but none as tragic as this one.

After returning to ancient Egypt, she is faced with heart-wrenching decisions. Unless she interferes with Fate’s plan, the very thing she was born to protect, her soul mate will die leading Marc Antony’s forces against Rome. Can she really stand aside and watch the love of her life die all over again?

In this fascinating novel-length prequel to The Bloodstone Saga, Courtney Cole sets the stage for an epic journey that will have readers holding their breath until the very last page of the very last book has been turned.

What would you do if you held Fate in your hands?

Every Last Kiss is the debut novel of Courtney Cole. Courtney loves thunderstorms, cake batter and taking long walks at dusk. Learn more about Courtney at www.courtneycolewrites.com

Other books in the Bloodstone Saga:
Fated, Book 2
With My Last Breath, Book 3
My Tattered Bonds, Book 4
Review
When I was informed that this book was going to be free on Amazon for a limited time, I pretty much seized the opportunity and downloaded the book. It's been on my Kindle for months now and I just decided to read it. Isn't this cover absolutely beautiful, for one? I certainly think it's an attention-grabbing cover, and the synopsis was great, as well. Everything about this book just lures you in and keep reading, and I honestly really loved it.

This book starts after Macy Lockhart, a seemingly average 17-year-old, gets cheated on by her seemingly perfect boyfriend, Derek. Macy goes through that whole "revenge on your boyfriend" procedure, and then she's met in the garage by a mysterious stranger, a priest, who claims that he knows all about who she really is and what her destiny is. And it turns out that Macy is actually Charmian, Cleopatra's best friend and faithful servant.

She's then thrust into this unknown and foreign world and she's expected to just play along like nothing ever happened, and the priest will only give Macy vague, cryptic answers for a reply. So Macy—aka Charmian, as I'm going to refer to her as from now on—is basically all on her own. Sort of. She has a pharaoh best friend, an all-knowing guide who claims that the priest is speaking rubbish, and a handsome military general who's head over heals for Charmian.

I was immediately grabbed by this really unique take on Cleopatra, and the fantasy element that was added into it. I also really loved Hasani, the love interest in this book. He and Charmian had already established a very stable relationship so they're basically at the prime of their relationship and if you don't like going through the notions of falling in love and building a stable relationship, then this is the book for you. However, if you really love seeing two people fall in love, this still is the book for you because they don't seem like they're falling for each other, it's still a really great book.

A problem I've had recently with books is that they start off way too slowly to my liking, but I didn't have anything like that in this book. It started perfectly and the entire book was extremely well-paced. I didn't feel anything was too rushed and nothing was too slow. However, there was this one part, when Macy transitioned into her role as Charmian. I found that a little unbelievable that Macy would just take on her role like it was what she was supposed to do her entire life.

In the end, I was satisfied with the book, and now I really want to read Fated. This was really a great book and you guys should all go and read this now. It's free for Amazon Prime members and only $2.99 for just ordinary Amazon members. Obviously, I have neither of those accounts, or one on Barnes & Noble, so I'm just going to have to hoof it until I can find a way to buy it. :)

1 comment :

  1. Brilliant review! I snatched this one up when it was free too and I'm quite excited about. Love seeing such great things being said about it- I must get to it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!