Thursday, March 15, 2012

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep


Author: Jennifer Estep
Publishing Company: Kensington
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: August 1, 2011
Pages: 350
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Summary
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy—a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

Review
Oh my God, oh my God, I just can't believe this book. I'm honestly in love with it right now! I read this in literally two hours flat. It's not even funny. I'm a fast reader, but it's hard for me to read something that fast while watching Harry Potter. This is definitely one of my favorite books now! I didn't even expect to like this book because of how dark the cover seemed, but I was so wrong. I love this book so much! The cover's beautiful, but a little dark for my taste, and so I didn't really want to read this, but I got the second book, just in case, and I loved both of them!

Gwen was introduced to me as a very strong character who was extremely independent. She knows what she wants and she knows how to get it. I really like that about her character and I really like how she doesn't get delusions about Logan throughout the book when he seems to be making a pass at her because I may be cynical and really sadistic for saying this, but I believe that usually, the popular guy and the nerdy girl don't really work out, so I think that Gwen was right for being doubtful and reluctant about it until much later.

Wow. The idea of this book was great. I really enjoyed this twist on Urban Fantasy. I'm always ranting and ranting about how I want a book that's different from the normal type of genre, a spin on a classic topic, and this was definitely one of them, which just earns brownie points with me. (So if anybody ever tries to recommend a book to me, you might want to see if it fits that category, especially if you want that book to get a high rating.)

I am absolutely in love with Logan. I know that I said that the popular guy didn't usually fall for the outcast, but Logan wasn't exactly a popular guy, just a really dangerous one, which I guess makes him popular at Mythos. At first I was neutral towards the guy and then he started to really care for Gwen and really develop an interest for her, and I was hooked on him. That makes it my—what—twentieth book boy crush now? :) They're like drugs that are good for you.

The cliffhanger at the end...oh my God, Jennifer, you honestly cannot do that to me! I read the end, stared at it, and was like, "NOOOOO!" It's a good thing that I got Kiss of Frost with this one because I had that feeling that I'd be glad I borrowed both at the same time, and boy, was I right. Seriously, that cliffhanger was brutal. It just left me dangling, and I was just screaming and thrashing around and trying to find the book.

*************************************

I have read so many books this week and I am so late on reviews and posts that it's getting really stressful to think about it. So stressful, in fact, that I had to just not even review a few of the books I read. I think I put up a really short and concise one up on Goodreads for those I have to skip, and that's what I'm doing now, especially with all those books that I have to get to that I can't do a full review for. I guess it's just the stress of school and how they're really piling it on now. But not that I think about it, it's not that much. 

Maybe two or three reviews, three tour stops next month, and that's all I really have slated. I shouldn't be complaining about blogging when I've only been at it for half a year. But of course, I'm not even that busy with this blog. I guess I'm just an anti-procrastinator and I get overwhelmed by the thought of doing things at the last minute. So I'm not really complaining. Maybe all I need is to stop eating the ice cream that's got me on the sugar high right now, do my homework, and take deep breaths because I love this blog and I don't really think of it as a job, just an awesome hobby that needs more song attention to it.

***Also, don't forget to check out my Tuney Tournament, located as the post below this one! Thanks so much, I'd really appreciate it if you participated and spread the word! It's my first tournament every, and I really like the idea of it so far!***

4 comments :

  1. LOVED touch of frost/i have2 say the ending of kiss of frost/is a killer

    i can\t freaking wait 4 my pre-order of dark frost

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book it was great! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tjis series sounds awesome !! I'm planning to pick up the first book soon .. I have the first book in Jennifer Estep's adult series and I really look forward to read this one as well !! Thanks for the great review Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to pick up this book like I need to breathe. I'm planning on finishing cleaning my inbox today. After that I'll be writing for two hours and then reading Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter, Posess by Gretchen McNeil, and THIS book. You have me convinced woman, that I will love this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!