Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Six by KB Hoyle


Author: KB Hoyle
Publishing Company: The Writer's Coffee Shop
Genre: Middle Grade—Fantasy
Pages: 383
Release Date: April 5, 2012
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Summary
Darcy Pennington hates her life. She is an insufferably average teenager with no real friends, crushing social anxiety, and an indescribable sense of being out of place in the world around her. when Darcy is forced to attend Cedar Cove Family Camp for an entire week, she once again finds herself on the outside of an already existent social circle of friends. It is only when she unwittingly stumbles upon a gateway to a new world that Darcy begins to realize that there might be a higher purpose for her life. She suddenly finds herself the leader of the small group of teens in the world called Alitheia, and in the end, their lives, and hte lives of countless others, will hinge on the decisions she makes. Will Darcy have what it takes to fulfill her mysterious purpose? Or will she fall prey to a deadly foe?

Review
What first sucked me into this book was Darcy. She's a really independent and relatable character. I don't know what it is, but something about Darcy just draws me in and makes me want to get to know her. Darcy likes to be alone, sort of like me at times, and she also is really...negative towards life in general. So, in this case, Darcy was sort of a halfway point for me: relatable, but a little bit of a jerk. I guess I understand her point of view, but I was still a little put off by Darcy's attitude. Luckily, she sort of grew out of that while the book progressed and that showed how Darcy wasn't a static character.

This book got into the action really quickly and you only spent a small portion of the book going through all the introductions and doing the "exposition." Then it got right into business. Darcy reminded me exactly of Lucy from the Chronicles of Narnia. She sort of finds this new world and spends, like, thirty minutes in there, and when she comes out, no one's noticed she's gone and no one really believes her. But then she convinces everybody to come with her and when they get there, they learn that they're "The Six" who are supposed to change the world that they live in. At first they learn very little about the real reason they've come, but then they slowly learn more and more about how they're supposed to dethrone the current king who's supposedly evil.

When Darcy starts getting excluded, she finds company in a wolf named Lykos, and she learns magic from him. I felt really bad for Darcy at this point because a) she's being excluded, which I'm sure all of us are used to, and I hate it, that's for sure, b) she has to develop these powers on her own and can't even show them off because of Lykos's strict orders, and c) it's just awful to be the odd one out. I know I mentioned it twice, but I cannot express how God-awful it is to be the odd one out who isn't included in the inside jokes or invited to that birthday party. It also started to get a little boring around here because there wasn't much going on like in the beginning.

Anyway, another really big problem I had with this book other than the fact that Darcy was a little annoying at first was the fact that she was making really stupid decisions. That's a really big no-no in my book. If somebody's making a really bad decision and they don't even know they are, just keep on doing whatever they're doing, I just want to pull my hair out and scream. And Darcy was making some really big mistakes that cost her in the end. Obviously, the book wouldn't have ended the way it did, but I wish that Darcy was a little aware of what was happening. Just a little bit aware. A tiny bit.

So, I liked the action part of it, albeit the slower middle; and Darcy's character, despite her bad decisions and attitude in the beginning. I'm happy that Darcy grew throughout this book, and she really learned something about friendship that she didn't have before. Fans of the Chronicles of Narnia will thoroughly enjoy this middle grade fantasy. It's just too bad that I didn't like the Chronicles of Narnia that much, but this book was still good.

***COME BACK HERE ON MARCH 30 TO SEE THE TOUR STOP GUEST POST I HAVE PLANNED!***

1 comment :

  1. Cool review! I'll share it in Twitter and tag KB and my hook ups lol. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!