Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep


Author: Jennifer Estep
Publishing Company: Kensington
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: November 29, 2011
Pages: 354
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Summary
I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...

Review 

Warning: If you do not want to read a really long rant on why I loved a book that's filled with sugar rush-induced comments, then don't read this. I've embarrassed myself enough by even posting this review, crazed comments included.

WHYYYYY? Wait, let me clear that up. WHYYY MUST I ALWAYS BE ON A SUGAR RUSH WHILE DOING REVIEWS? I seriously need to cut back on the ice cream. I'm a very naturally bubbly person, as you can probably tell, who can also be very serious when the need be, but honestly? A sugar rush is the last thing I need right now! Especially with a book that I love so much and just recently found and I want to rant about it all day long and probably will, so just bear with me for the next paragraphs. (Brace yourselves: it's going to be a long few minutes)

This cover. Is. So. Stinking. Awesome. (Yes, I use stinking instead of the other word that starts with "fr". I'm such a good girl sometimes.) I love how these titles reflect on Gwen's last name, which was probably the ultimate (vocab word!) purpose for this book. And the fact that the sword is the T in the title, and the sword is sort of a big deal, is just awesome too! And this model is so stinking PRETTY! AHH! She looks a lot like my friend, but not exactly. I also like that snow theme, because frost? Snow? It totally works. Just don't ask me why. This is where I'd get really confused and run away. (Remember, I'm a little loopy from sugar right now. It's sort of a miracle that I can form a straight sentence. Obviously, you've never seen me in a sugar high.)

Gwen is an awesome character. Honestly. I really think she's a very compassionate girl who cares about the people around her. She keeps secrets that she's supposed to keep, and she's super loyal to her friends. For example, in the last book, she helped this one girl out, even though she was horrible to Gwen. She kept Oliver's really big secret because she's just like that. She didn't go back on any promise  that she made, and I found that really admirable about her. (Ooh, I think the sugar's wearing off... Wait, it's back again. Why? WHY did I just say that?)

Gwen's also a super strong character. She keeps on trying to get what she wants, and she doesn't just shy away from a challenge. At the end, during this very big reveal, sort of, she didn't run screaming away. She held her ground and fought. I have to admit that there wasn't another choice for her, but it totally works out. And when Logan pretty much starts avoiding her (still haven't forgiven you for that, Logi Bear...sorry, it just came to me cause it's like Yogi Bear?) Gwen kept her chin up and didn't back out. I really admired that about her and although I'd like to think that I'm a strong person, I don't think that I am as much as the book characters, so I can really admire Gwen for this.

Alright, so I noticed this very small trivial thing in this book, and it wasn't enough to lower the rating, but I definitely wanted to point it out. Jennifer likes to use this word: skirted. "I skirted around Logan" was used twice in the last book, which was acceptable, and it was used twice in this book. Don't ask me how on earth I remember that...I just have this really weird recollection of it. And I also remember this phrase that's usually repeated that is: "And he/she thought I was the freak." These two phrases were repeated a few times and although it annoyed me a little bit, the rest of the book made up for it.

LOGAN! AHHH! (I feel sparks fly, whenever you smile. Sparks Fly, Taylor Swift) This is a Relatable Lyric because I had to start doing it more often and that's how Gwen always feels about Logan and the same thing for me, too. And throughout the book Logan was always ignoring Gwen and I was feeling really bad for Gwen. (And we're standing alone in a crowded room, and we're not speaking. And I'm dying to know is it killing you like it's killing me. The Story Of Us, Taylor Swift) That's how I can totally understand Gwen was feeling, and I wanted to smack Logan upside the head for how extremely heinous and jerky he was being.

And now we're moving onto the plot. WHEEEE!!! AHHHH!!! That was the main concept, only obviously coated with tween hyper-ness. Gwen was doing something, something shocking happened that absolutely just jerked me out of my seat and made me pay attention. Ooh, it's 5:01 right now! I have to start my homework and schedule this post! But wait, I have so much more to say! Okay, fine, I'll do this. Wait. Did I just have an argument with myself during a review? Gack...I sometimes hate my promise to never delete anything I write, unless it's a spelling, formatting, or grammar error.

Okay! So onto the action. Everything moved very fast, and I really liked the idea of Logan being a sort of "protector" even when Gwen wasn't aware of it. He wasn't babying her, however, but he was looking out for her and her well-being. And he was always there for her when he needed to be and although Gwen did very minimal fighting, everything was jam-packed with action. There were only a few fight scenes, but it didn't go slow at all because everything was really hectic and just wonderfully written. I definitely applaud Jennifer for doing that.

Oh, nuggets. I just wrote, like, ten paragraphs of meaningless fluff on a book. I really have to work on that...*cringe* But anyway, have a nice day everybody and I'm off for homework and to STOP MY BROTHER FROM SENDING ME FACEBOOK NOTIFICATIONS! Toodles! 

4 comments :

  1. I love your reviews, they're always so energetic! I have this book on my kindle, and I have no idea why I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the great review and making me want to read this book even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how we notice little things in books like the use of "skirt." One of the things that bugged me most about Twilight was the overuse of the word "chuckled."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jennifer Esteps' books and can't wait to read this one. Your review cracked me up. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your review. I felt like you wrote like you talk and it amused me. Great review and I can't wait to see what other treasures from my subscription to you I missed in my inbox. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!