Monday, March 12, 2012

Graceling by Kristin Cashore


Author: Kristin Cashore
Publishing Company: Houghton Miffin Harcourt
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: October 1, 2008
Pages: 341
Source/Format: Borrowed/Hardcover
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Summary
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug. When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone. With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.

Review
Huh. Well. I don't really have much to say as a little opener of this book other than that book. Was. Awesome! :) I loved the action and the romance and everything about this book. I think that Kristin Cashore captured the entire book so perfectly. Katsa's this perfect combination of strong yet insecure about her crazy ability, since most Graced girls usually can just cook or sew exceptionally. Katsa was the perfect witty character and at the same time a great warrior who could hold her own.

We meet Po very early on in the book, and I easily get really excited, like I did when I met Po because he seems like the perfect love interest for Katsa. Then when we meet him again and we get to know him, you really can't help but love him, too. I seriously loved Po. He was a great person and super loyal and compassionate. I really loved how Po was involved in the entire plot, because sometimes the MC just goes about her business alone and doesn't really remember about the love interest until later. That didn't happen here, which I really liked.

The action in here was great. Katsa learned a lot about her Grace, things that definitely weren't expected. I think that was a really interesting twist in the plot and it explained a lot of things. Everything got really intense near the end, too, and the action was great. There were some fight scenes, and other times were it was just really suspenseful, with me just sitting at the edge of my seat, trying to see what would happen next. I applaud Kristin for being able to induce that emotion in me at times.

The only problem I had with the book was the ending. I usually don't like book series with each book featuring a different character, because it's just like three stand-alone, and sometimes, in fantasy, you pretty much need trilogies sometimes because there's always a bigger purpose within the books. But in this one, there wasn't, so it was basically like a standalone, and in the next book, Fire, it will feature a new character. I'm a little reluctant to read it because I don't like those types of series, but I'm willing to try something new. I really wish there was another book, because while I was devastated and satisfied with the ending of the book, I wanted there to be an addition to it to sort of let us know more about Katsa and Po.

8 comments :

  1. I'm the same! I hate new characters or old characters becoming the center of attention and being the new narrator because I miss the old protagonist! I do have one exception though and that's the Benedict series (Finding Sky & Stealing Phoenix).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there :) Thanks for the great review. I haven't read this yet but, it sounds like a good read. I'm normally annoyed by the same thing, I wonder if this one will as well.

    Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has been sitting on my shelves since Christmas and I can't wait to start reading it .. I totally see what you mean about fantasy series needing several books.. I'm glad you liked this one Eileen :) !! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a while ago, but I'm pretty sure Fire is a prequel -- or at least takes place before this book.
    We'll probably get to read about Katsa and Po in Bitterblue, which comes out soon!! Finally! I mean, I've been waiting FOUR YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Fire even more than Graceling! Its actually a prequel and explains the "bad guy" a little bit more, but its not solely about him. Fire really notches up the action and romance!

    Can't wait for Bitterblue, that will have Katsa and Po in it! Squee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Graceling is one of my favourite books. If you loved Graceling, I think you'll really like this book Shadow Kin by M J Scott. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9690444-shadow-kin

    I'm reading it at the moment and it's got a lot of similarities to Graceling, but also alot darker, and I think I might actually ending up like it more than Graceling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was given this book by a friend for my 19th birthday. I have since given the hard copy away and bought it for my NOOK. You're enticing me to abandoned my planned books for the month and just read this. *bites lip* Keep an eye out for my review when I read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!