Thursday, March 8, 2012

Follow Friday (18)



RULES
  • To join the fun and make new book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  • (Required) Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts {Parajunkee and Alison Can Read}
  • (Required) Follow our Featured Bloggers
  • Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing. You can also grab the code if you would like to insert it into your posts.
  • Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say “hi” in your comments and that they are now following you.
  • Follow Follow Follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don’t just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don’t say “HI”
  • If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love…and the followers.
If you’re new to the follow friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!

Question:
Have you ever looked at a book's cover and thought, This is going to horrible? But, was instead pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.


Answer:
Hmm. I really have to think about this one. I remember encountering a few great covers that I ended up hating, but it's hard for me to pin that one good book down because usually a good book will have a good cover. Ooh, I know, I actually have a few, now that I'm looking through my Goodreads read list. 


This cover is...interesting. Haha, I know, that's what I say for stuff that I'm iffy about. (Warning: the next few sentences will probably be very controversial. Ooh, vocab word! Controversial. I think I got a 90 on that quiz.) This book was something that came out at my library and I looked at it and thought, "It sounds interesting, but the cover's kind of boring." It's a really pretty cover, but I found it lacking. I've seen a lot of better ones, and this one wasn't really focusing on the gem, I felt. The entire cover was really great, but it didn't have the focus on that one thing that I was looking for on it, which was really the main character.

The synopsis also wasn't something to go crazy over, but a synopsis sometimes doesn't capture the full meaning of the book because of the limited amount of words they get to use. But it's better than overselling a book, to me, at least. In the end, I really loved this book because of the originality of the story and how strong the heroine was. I also really hated this book because of the twist that was thrown in the end that absolutely infuriated me, and things better get better in the next book. They just better.


This one was a really dull cover to me, and I didn't like the trees and only the trees and a wolf as the art used on the cover. I think it's an okay cover, though, after thinking about the simplicity of it. I thought I was going to be really bored, but that wasn't the case at all. In fact, it was the exact opposite. It was a really great story, and although it wasn't my favorite of books, I was definitely surprised, considering the cover. And, the font was BLUE! I know, it's a huge waste of ink, and each book was written in the color scheme of the cover, and I didn't notice until after I was halfway through this book.

EDIT: I was reading through some of the comments, and I personally did not know that the cover was raised for Shiver. I got it from the library, because it takes about months and months of begging before I can get my parents to buy me a book, and there was this cellophane wrapping on it. That changes my perspective, but I still think that the cover could've done better. :)

***By the way, and I'm really sorry, but my school play is this weekend, and this week has been so hectic, preparing for this play, that I will be unable to respond to comments for this week. I definitely will follow back the new followers who leave a comment, but I probably cannot comment on too many blogs.***

Recap of the Week
Tour Stop: Until Next Time by Amy Lignor
Cover Reveal: Reached by Ally Condie
Book Review: The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams
Random Post: Cookies and Comments
Tour Stop: The Dawn of Angels by Vivienne Malynn and Sean Kade
Book Review: Tundra 37 by Aubrie Dionne
Song Review: Deep in the Meadow by Suzanne Collins
Book Review: Jane by April Lindner
Book Review: Nightshade by Angela Cremer

Upcoming Posts
Book Review: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielson
Song Review: Mean by Taylor Swift
The Tuney Tournament (More information later)

Reminders
Giveaway (Until March 15): The New Death and Others by James Hutchings
Tour Stop (April 11): Portal by Imogen Rose
Tour Stop (April 12): A Bite's Tale by Veronica Blade 

25 comments :

  1. I love the Wolves of Mercy Falls covers for some reason, they stand out to me...but the main thing I like is the colored font :)
    Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some dull covers, lol!

    New Follower!

    Here's our FF

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really didn't care for the covers of the Wolves of Mercy Falls either.

    New Linky follower

    http://gizmosreviews.blogspot.com/

    Shelley@GizmosReviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read Shiver because of your same reasons, but I'm hearing awesome things, and I might give it a try! Thanks so much for following me, I've followed right back, can't wait to read more of your reviews!

    <3 Britta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through. I really liked both those covers and the books themselves, but I definitely agree that the blue font in Shiver was odd :-)
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower. I think Shiver's cover is the reason its still sitting on my bookshelf unread. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed agreed agreed! I don't think that I will pick up this book seeing the covers. :)

    A new follower! Here is my Feature & Follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, Hopping through :) I think the cover would of worked with a different cover and like you said font. good choice!

    I'm also your newest follower!

    Here is mine to check out:

    My Feature and Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I completely agree with Shiver. I didn't have that as my post though! I like the hardback because it's shiny and raised and whatnot haha and I haven't read Girl of Fire and Thorns, but I'm not a fan of the cover either! Will have to give it a shot :)

    I'm a new follower!!
    Taneika @ Flipping Through the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually like the Cover for Shiver :(
    *** OLD FOLLOWER***
    http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower through GFC, facebook, RSS, and Linky. The shiver cover is kind of pretty but doesn't really draw you into what the book will be about. I haven't read Girl of Fire and Thorns but the cover isn't that great. I agree
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read these ones but I've heard a lot of amazing things. I'm glad it was a great surprise.

    old follower

    here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read Girl of Fire and Thorns but I do agree with you on the cover for Shiver. It's just so... unspectacular and dull. It's nothing really special to me.
    New Follower: GFC
    -Jenni (My FF)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to go through my Goodreads list, too. LMAO!
    New follower here.
    My FF: FollowFriday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi!I totally agree with you about Shiver.I loved this series,but i don't like at all the covers!
    Old follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read Girl of Fire and Thorns. I have to say I was kind of a fan of the Shiver cover... I liked how it was raised and it just looked so clean and pretty to me. But I never got to reading the book... I know, embarrassing... so I really can't say how it relates to the story.

    New follower! :)

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree about the first, but I liked Shiver's cover. :)

    I'm a gfc follower. :)
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/03/feature-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book is on my TBR pile but I agree that the cover is dull.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Shiver cover is very eerie looking.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/feature-follow_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a little different in my opinions of the covers for the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, I think they're really sort of pretty in such a simple and understated way. I like that they reflect the author and they have so much of her wrapped up in them, as well as the story. However, I do agree with you about the cover for The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I much preferred the cover of the ARC as compared to the finished cover that was chosen. :)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    My Follow & Feature Hops!
    H A P P Y R E A D I N G ! ! !
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree that The Girl of Fire and Thorns' cover is not so great. I kind of like Shiver's cover though. :)

    New follower here! :)

    my follow friday

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just about said Shiver as well, however, it didn't turn me off as much. I borrowed those books from the library and was surprised as the color as the text being the same as the cover. Here's My FF Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the Shiver cover, but the one for The Girl of Fire and Thorns is totally lacking in some way, like you said. I haven't read either yet, but they're both on my TBR list!

    Old Follower ;) My FF/TGIF

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a new follower to your site! I just joined the Feature and Follow Meme. Here's mine if you are interested http://harleybearbookblog.blogspot.com/. Or follow me on twitter @Harleybearbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!