Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Author: John Green
Publishing Company: Dutton Juvenile
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 318
Source/Format: Borrowed/Hardcover
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Summary
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


Review
My friend, who's a total health nut, has this book, which is actually signed, and it got me slightly interested, but I never actually liked cancer books. But then it started popping up here and there and everywhere and more and more often, and so I finally just threw everything to the wolves and borrowed this book. And it pretty much delivered.

My other friend cried for hours after reading this book, and she spoiled the ending for me, so that's why I didn't cry, most likely. I also didn't really feel the romance going on between Augustus and Hazel, and maybe that made the loss a little less life-changing for me. Of course, I did feel it pulling at my heartstrings now and then, but overall, I was neutral towards it.

The whole plot of this book went fairly fast, and I definitely got into it as the book progressed and went onward, but I keep going back to the fact that I couldn't really believe the romance between Augustus and Hazel because there wasn't a lot, to me, that I could base it off of. They went to a few places together, did a few things together, and I don't really see how it could have progressed into something more than a serious relationship.

The ending. My friend spoiled it for me, but if I didn't know otherwise, I would've certainly cried and then ended up throwing a temper tantrum. I would not have seen that coming. Seriously. That was one screwed up ending right there, my friends. Not only was it completely unfair, I was close to crying, even though I was completely anticipating it. I need to vent about this to somebody, so if anybody out there's read this and wants to have completely random rants about how sad this book was, you know where to find me!

3 comments :

  1. I have to admit I had done the same. First of all I'm drawn to a book by its cover and this one just doesn't do that for me. But after having seen it time after time, I finally read your review. Well...I'm putting it on my list to borrow/read. Thanks for a great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really look forward to read this one : it sounds so moving and I like to read sad books sometimes ...
    Too bad your friend spoiled you the ending :( It totally changes your reading of the book when you know how it is going to end ..
    Thanks for the great review Eileen !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my eye on this book for a while, and reading your review makes me want to read it even more. Definitely will :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!