Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

 

Author: Marissa Meyer
Publishing Company: Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Dystopian, Romance
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Pages: 387
Rating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Summary
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction.


Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future. 


Review
This entire idea is just so darn ingenious. I think that the idea of a futuristic Cinderella is just so great. It's so original and I always want to look for a good original topic or an overused topic with an original spin. I was immediately drawn to this book because of this great cover and the originality of it all. If this cover at first doesn't draw you in immediately, start reading the first few pages and then you'll be completely hooked. If you're hesitant, I'd urge you to give it a try because you will not be disappointed in the slightest.

Cinder is such a strong character in here. She knows she's different and even though everybody sort of shuns her, she always keeps her head high and she doesn't really care—not too much—what people think and she's really unique. She's definitely different, but not in the physical way as well as the internal way. She's really a very nice, strong, and loyal person in this book which I found very admirable, especially when everybody was so rotten and she managed to stay a very pure character.

Kai in here was so great. I think that he really cared for Cinder and still does, even after everything that went down. He was really nice and he seemed to like Cinder for who she really is. I made Goodreads status updates while reading this and I was very upset with some things between Cinder and Kai because Kai was the unattainable, handsome prince, and Cinder was the cyborg. So throughout the entire business, Cinder didn't tell Kai who she really was until somebody blurted it out for her. Kai still would've understood otherwise, though, if she was, because looks don't always matter. It's what's on the inside, really.

There was this one moment, where Kai and Cinder where in an elevator, and Kai literally locked Cinder and him inside the elevator so Kai could stinking tell Cinder he stinking liked her! And Cinder was still having doubts of whether to tell him she was a cyborg, or if he was just playing her. Cinder! Seriously! Ack! It only added to the blow when Kai was finally brought into the light of who Cinder really was. But if everything had run out differently, I doubt we would have gotten the ending that we did.

This book had a lot of twists and turns in it. I usually expected some of it, but it was still very shocking to find out that I guessed right. That's seriously a first for me. That might be that the book was predictable, but I didn't think that it was. Everything was carefully laid out so that it would build up to this big, epic reveal, a reveal that would make everybody go, "No!" I definitely didn't see some of the stuff coming, and it was really great suspense-wise.

So I've told you that the plot was great and very well-defined, the characters were extremely developed, the cover was beyond gorgeous, and the romance was out of this world SQUEE-worthy. Now onto that ending. WHY?????? And this time, I don't mean sugar-rush "Why?" but why-must-the-book-end-like-that "Why?" That cliffhanger is brutal. Brutal! What kind of person does that?! Why won't 2013 come already?

The next book will be based of the Little Red Riding Hood, a different fairytale, which I find is a very interesting and unique concept to go for, and I will definitely be reading this. I would read Cinder because of all the reasons I told above, because not only does it possess all the great qualities of a book, it will definitely keep you guessing for a while.

2 comments :

  1. I really need to read this one I keep hearing amazing things about this book everywhere! The world sounds so interesting. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..it ends on a cliffhanger? *dies* Why world why?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!