Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns


Author: Rae Carson
Publishing Company: Greenwillow Books
Pages: 424
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Action/Adventure
Rating: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5

Summary
Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.


Review
Okay, let's just say that the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I love the gem, because it's like the main thing of everything, really. The only part of the cover that I don't really like is that you can't exactly see the model's face. I didn't really know exactly what Elisa looked like, so I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get to properly see her face. 

This entire book was really, really, really well-written. I liked the whole adventure part of it that also had that magical, fantastical aspect. It was tragic at the same time cry-worthy. I almost did shed a few tears near the end. But I'm not revealing what happens later on in this review. Don't worry, there will be a warning and it will be spoilery. Very.

Okay, now that I gushed about everything about it. I loved literally everything about the book, but it got a four. And I'll tell you it right now. It was really the title, because I didn't get how that tied into the novel. See, Elisa is the chosen one, and it's really because she was born with the Godstone (a gem that's powerful and all that stuff) in her belly. (I didn't exactly get that) It would make a lot more sense if the book had been named "Godstone" or something like that. 

(THE SPOILER PART I WARNED YOU ABOUT IS IN THE NEXT PARAGRAPH)
The other reason that this book didn't get the grade that it probably deserved except for this. Elisa fell in love with Humberto, and he loved her back, but in the end, he died. And then Alejandro, the one Elisa was married to, died as well. Leaving Elisa with no more love interests. That pretty much ruined the rest of the series for me, since I need romance in a series.
(SPOILER PARAGRAPH END)

So that's it. I hope you'll read this book, because it was actually pretty darn good. Bye!

1 comment :

  1. New follower :)

    This sounds really interesting! I'd love to check it out - even just the title of it makes me way to pick it up. Great review!

    Stephanie @SOOTP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!