Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade


Author: Stacey Kade
Publishing Company: Hyperion Book CH
Pages: 281
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary, Fantasy, Romance
Rating: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5

Summary
Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.

I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?


Review
In this book, Will has to take down this cloud that followed him around, that was supposedly a ghost, and Alona wanted to go to heaven, and in order to do so, she has to help Will with satisfying the ghosts, who all want to complete some last requests, which they want Will to help out with. He doesn't want to, but in the end, he helps out and everyone's happy.

I really loved this cover. I was attracted to this book while browsing the shelves of the library, and this one caught my eye. I ignored him for a while, and then I saw a review of it, and it was pretty good, so I went back to try it, but then it wasn't on the "Newcomers" shelf, so I put it away for a while. But then I found it! So I read it, and I wasn't too disappointed.

Don't get me wrong. The writing was pretty good, with a few confusing parts. I always thought ghosts to be something else, but this was still a really good outtake on the entire thing. It sort of confused me at a few parts, and I wish there was a little more detail concerning some passages. But everything else was really good.

Now the whole reason that I didn't like this book was that the romance was pretty cheesy and a little flimsy where I was concerned. The popular person falls in love with a complete dork, and the dork falls in love with the popular guy. And I didn't exactly get the flutteries whenever the author attempted to make it emotional.

The ending was kind of stupid, where the cloud apparently disappeared, and Will helps out all these people, but that's contemporary for you, right? I have to get used to it again. But it was pretty satisfying overall, except for a few parts that really annoyed me.

1 comment :

  1. I enjoyed the first book in the series (The Ghost and the Goth), so I was super excited when I found out there was going to be a sequel. The first book ends well as a standalone, but this second book relies enough on the events of the first that you shouldn't read the sequel until after you've read the first book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!