Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fade by Lisa McMann


Author: Lisa McMann
Publishing Company: Simon Pulse
Pages: 256
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Rating: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5
Warnings: Inappropriate because of free use of the "f" word, and a few sex scenes

Summary
For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck. Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open--but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.

Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability. And it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a Dream Catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd even feared...


Review
First of all, this cover, I have to say, is pretty cool, but at the same time a little boring. It's just a glass of water with the word Fade at the top with a cool effect with the water. I sort of see how the water ties into the entire thing (it actually may not be water, but who knows) but it's cool because it sort of draws attention to the title, and it's really meaningful. It gets boring sometimes when all you see is a model on the cover. As long as it's pretty pretty, I'm good.

In this book, Janie and Cabel learns that there's this sexual predator at the school, and that Janie has to be a pawn in this whole act, because the sexual predator is a guy, and God help him if he tries to go after Cabel. Cabel's not very happy, at all, about this, but Janie convinces Cabel to let her try it out.

So Janie goes to this party, where the predator is supposed to strike, and it turns out they're putting date-rape drugs into the drinks and food so they can rape the girls afterwards, but Janie swoops in and saves the day. I think Janie's a really strong and independent character and she can hold her own, since her mother's an alcoholic and she's had to raise herself.

That's why they have the water, I think, with the swirls, because it's the date-rape drugs, which is kind of the problem of the story, to track this guy down. And this problem is exactly why it didn't get the five that I would've been itching to give this book otherwise. It's because this is a trilogy, and the first book was short, and so was Fade, so I wanted the content to be really meaningful and worth every page.

That did not exactly happen. The first one, you could say, was something of where Janie told Cabel about her powers and they sort of got to know each other. (Review is under this one) First books are always a little like a prologue to the real action, and some just jump right in, so I could understand the fact that the problem wasn't that major. I expected this one to jump right in. I was wrong.

This had just another petty problem to me, and there was only a shocking part where Janie found out she's going to go blind (part of a dream-catcher's side-effects) and that was all there was to lead us into the ending of this trilogy. I'm currently reading this last book, and I'm really disappointed because there wasn't something that she was supposed to do, it was just Janie, Cabel, and her family, and Janie's wondering whether or not she should disappear forever. I really wish there would've been something more.

1 comment :

  1. Hey, you had commented on my post about my Twitter and Goodreads buttons. I made both of them and coded them. If you need it, I can do the same for you. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!