Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Author: Beth Revis
Publishing Company: Razorbill
Pages: 398
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Sci-Fi, Dystopian, Romance
Rating: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5

Summary
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Review
First of all, I think this cover is really awesome! I saw Maria at Fantasy's Ink review it, and I thought it looked interesting, and then I saw it at the library, and I decided to borrow it. This book did not disappoint, and I am eagerly awaiting the next book. Sort of.

I really loved the fact that this book was a cross between dystopian, science fiction, and a little paranormal. There was even some romance. I'll get into that later. Amy is very determined, and I like how Elder is very protective of her. Amy is guarded of this new place, because many people look at her funny because she has red hair and green eyes, when everyone else has dark skin, dark hair, and dark eyes. 

I like how realistic this is (as realistic it can get, at least) because who wouldn't be guarded and angry and longing for their parents if they were separated from you? I probably could never be as strong as some of the heroines and main characters I read about, because I'm a total softie, but it's nice to live in someone else's world for a while.

My only problem was the romance. It wasn't that well developed. I didn't get tingly at romantic parts (which, actually, there were next to none so I really hope there's more in the next book) but I loved basically everything else. If there were more mushy parts, which I really like because I'm a sap, this book would've gotten a bigger rating.

I want Amy and Elder to develop their relationship further in the next book, instead of Elder liking her only because of her hair and because of her weird appearance. If she was normal, would Elder have been interested? You can fall in love because of your looks, it's about the personality. So now that you've been attracted to the girl, get to know her! Don't just stand there and obsess about how red her hair is! 

Other than that, this book is truly truly truly really awesome, and I will be reading the next books with my expectations set high.

1 comment :

  1. I actually kinda liked that it wasn't too romancey. I thought that was refreshing. Plus, I think with all the other stuff going on, if I was Amy, I wouldn't be all that fussed about getting a good snog in.

    The covers of these books really are fantastic. It's different and has such beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!