Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tuney Thursday: Ours by Taylor Swift

Many of you may not know this song, because it's a single of Taylor's that isn't on a particular album. She performed this yesterday night on the CMA's, which is why I chose this song for today.

Lyrics
Elevator buttons and morning air
Strangers' silence makes me want to take the stairs
If you were here we'd laugh about their vacant stares
But right now my time is theirs

Seems like there's always someone who disapproves
They'll judge it like they know about me and you
And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do
The jury's out, my choice is you

So don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours

You never know what people have up their sleeves
Ghosts from your past gonna jump out at me
Lurking in the shadows with their lip gloss smiles
But I don't care 'cause right now you're mine

And you'll say
Don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours

And it's not theirs to speculate
If it's wrong and
Your hands are tough
But they are where mine belong and
I'll fight their doubt and give you faith
With this song for you

'Cause I love the gap between your teeth
And I love the riddles that you speak
And any snide remarks from my father about your tattoos will be ignored
'Cause my heart is yours

So don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
Don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
But they can't take what's ours
They can't take what's ours

The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours

Review
Usually, Taylor sings country songs with a little bit of pop mixed in, which I like because country in general isn't my most favorite genre. To me it's a little too happy-go-lucky. I like the way Taylor sings her country songs because it's has that little undertone to it that just makes it so much better and gives it a subtle pop note to it. Most country stars talk with the Southern accent, making their songs also heavily accented and I think it sounds really terrible like that. Taylor doesn't talk like that, which makes it so much better. In "Ours" it's a little more country. You can really tell that it's country, but she still sings it like it's part-pop. I love the tune and the lyrics, because it really tells the story. That's what I love about her songs: it just captures the moment so well. That's it for this one. I hope you check out the song!

2 comments :

  1. I'm not a big fan of country music and Taylor Swift but I find her very pretty AND generous. I live close to Hendersonville, TN and I've seen her schoolyard project and it's amazing. Giving back to those kids speaks volumes for this girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could see her schoolyard project! I understand that you might not like Taylor Swift but maybe you check out a couple of her songs. You might find that you like one song in particular.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!