Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa





Author: Julie Kagawa
Publishing Company: HarlequinTEEN
Pages: 359
Website: juliekagawa.com
Series: The Iron Fey
Rating: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5

Summary (juliekagawa.com)
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Review (spoilers for those who haven't read the Iron King and a few spoilers for the Iron Daughter, though not major)
Once again, I am captivated by this awesome cover, and Julie's writing. This definitely gets a five, especially the creativity of the entire piece. In this book, Meghan is in the Unseelie castle and is trying to convince Mab that the Iron fey exist. When they come and steal the Scepter of the Seasons, Meghan is encased in ice for accusing that. Ash breaks her out and they go on a fantastical journey to find the Scepter. The rest is just so dramatic and breathtaking that I literally felt the panic, longing, and desire that each character was going through. I could feel their emotions, as if I were fey, and I'm waaayyy too nice—almost like a doormat—to be savage like them. I love how Julie was able to make me feel that.

Ash and Meghan are in a battle of their own. Meghan is in love with Ash, and Ash probably is, too, but he's not willing to admit it. Meghan doesn't give up on him, and eventually, Ash starts to accept it. The ending to it was just so romantic and wonderful that I re-read it thousands of times just to let it sink in and stay there. Afterwards, of course, I just kept smiling like a madman and laughing, because that's the effect this series has on me.

In the first book, you don't really see many descriptions that are fancy and elaborate, but the world that she creates from just a few mere sentences is awesome, too. In this book, she had more elaborate descriptions and everything was a lot better. We got to know the Nevernever a little better, and that was awesome. And of course, the action never lacked. 

My favorite scene (****SPOILER ALERT*****) would have to be when Meghan goes to rescue the Scepter and sees that Ash is the one guarding it. When they escape, Meghan looks at the window and sees Ash there, with a tear on his cheek. (*****SPOILER DONE****) That scene was really romantic and I fell in love with it. I loved every other scene, too, but this one stood out the most as I read it. Besides the ending, obviously. I think anyone who has read this can say that the ending to this book was absolutely wonderfully written. I almost cried the first time I read it when I found out Meghan and Ash got the ending that they did in the Iron Daughter. (Sad tears or happy tears, you will have to find out.)

So this gets a five out of five, just to stop my ranting. But it truly is a really great book, so please, please, PLEASE read it! I would buy it FOR you just to get you to read it, but that would be a really big waste of money. But seriously. READ IT!! And the other books, because even if you have to buy the entire series instead of borrowing them, it's totally worth it. And if you're really against buying books, try an inter-library loan. (Don't know what that is? Ask your local library and they'll give you an explanation. Almost every library has this system, and if they don't, get a membership at another library! Your library can help you do that, too.) I don't care how you get it, just please do!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!