Friday, November 11, 2011

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter




Author: Ally Carter
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion Books
Other Books in the Series: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You (1); Don't Judge a Girl by her Cover (3); and Only the Good Spy Young (4)
Book Number: 2
Pages:236
Rating: Three and a Half

Summary
Cammie Morgan may have a genius IQ and attend the best school in the country, but as she starts the spring semester of her sophomore year there are a lot of things she doesn't know. Like will her ex-boyfriend even remember she exists? And how much trouble did she really get in last semester? And, most of all, exactly why is her mother acting so strangely?

All Cammie wants is a nice, normal semester, but she's about to learn her greatest lesson yet—that when you go to a school for spies, nothing is ever as it seems.

Blurb
Here's a thing about being a spy in love: your boyfriend never has a name. People like Polygraph Guy were never just going to call him Josh. He would always be The Subject, a person of interest. Taking away his name was their way of taking him away, or what was left of him

Review
The cover is so stinking cool! I love how the book spine matches her skirt (you can't see it in the above picture, unfortunately, but the pattern is the same), and I love the font of the title. I think it's cool how she made it with the clippings. The only problem I do have with the cover is the title, actually. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long! I wish she could've come up with a snappier one, and it doesn't really pertain to the content. It's just a title. Another thing was that I wish I could see the girl's face. This actually isn't a complaint, I just wish Ally would show us sometime soon.

In this book, I felt like Cammie grew very little as a character. In the next books, I think she grew a little more, but in the first two books, it was like she was living life and kept making the same mistakes. Also, in the book, a group of boys from the Blackthorne Institute for spy-boys comes for a semester. Cammie finds out about this school very early in the book, before this field trip for CoveOps.

In the beginning, Cammie gets taken on a field trip where someone she doens't know tails her and she has to get to this specific destination on time. She thinks she's doing fine, until a mysterious boy refuses to let her go. Being all naive, she tells him where she's headed, not knowing that this boy is Cammie's tail. Later, Cammie finds out that the boy, Zach, was her tail, and that he's from Blackthorne. The scene goes like this: (not the exact phrasing, taken from pages 76 and 77)
"You're late." (Mr. Solomon, they're CoveOps teacher)
"But I'm alone." (Cammie)
"No, Ms. Morgan, you're not." (Solomon)
Zach steps out from the shadows and smiles. "Hi again, Gallagher Girl."
Cammie is dumbfounded, when Mr. Solomon says, "Nice, work, Zach." Zach winks at Cammie, much to her horror.
"Hi, Blackthorne Boy." Cammie manages to say, and Zach gapes, Mr. Solomon blinks.

So, that's that. Zach and Cammie eventually grow close, even though Zach is so secluded and refuses to tell her anything. My problems with this book was the simplicity of it. The problem was that... there wasn't a big problem, or something with a lot of action, except for the end. One of the Blackthorne professors steals the alumni list (I don't know what that is) and they have to get it back. The Blackthorne students help out, and in the end, it turns out it was a test. Starting in the third and fourth book there's more action, but the first two felt flimsy. Also, they have all this equipment and mention so many strategies that it's so hard to figure out.

I would reccomend this book, but there were a couple problems in this book that kept nagging at me. (The third and fourth book still has that factor where the equipment is so complex that it's not possible and moves so weird and ways to kill someone so impossible. I might be confusing you, but it's the best I can explain it.) The third and fourth book appealed to me a little more.


2 comments :

  1. Hiya! Following back. I love the blog design and this book series! Cute and spunky for an academy style novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the book, too, a lot! I guess I just don't like it as much is because I usually don't read that genre (My style's paranormal romance.) And thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!