Monday, October 31, 2011

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I finished a total of three books over the weekend: City of Bones, Hush Hush, and Divergent.  I'll start with City of Bones and will try my best to get the rest on here. 

(Picture here. My computer isn't feeling very cooperative today, so I will just pretend that the picture is here. But I'll include a link.)

Summary (taken from GoodReads, as usual)
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Blurb
"He's not your father!"
Jace looked as if she'd slapped him. "Why are you so determined not to believe us?"
"Because she loves you," said Valentine.

Review
Okay, I've been aiming to make my reviews a little longer, so let me see if that's possible. And BTW, the rating is four-point-five stars.

First of all, the cover. It is so cool, and if I could include a picture *twitches* I'm sure you'd agree with me. I love the title, too, it's so catchy. And also, I was just so shocked at the end when Jace and Clary found out that they were... hey, I almost spoiled everything... I have got to watch my mouth — er, fingers. But continuing with the cover: I love the colors and everything on it. I especially loved Jace and the glowy things on his body, although I don't know why he's on the cover instead of Clary. But, Cassie Clare must have a motive behind it, right?

Second, the content. During the first few chapters, I wasn't as hooked that I had to keep turning and turning the pages, but after I got to chapter five or four, Cassie had reeled me in and claimed me as her victim. Everything was really detailed and the concept and the entire plot was so well laid out. I think she really delivered where the details and plot was concerned. And the love triangle going on between Clary, Jace, and Simon is like a love triangle, and Clary is so naive that she doesn't know of Simon's feelings until it smacks her in the face. 

Finally, the characters. Clary was a strong and independent protagonist, so I really liked that about her. Nowadays, a lot of the heroines are making so many mistakes and even though if I — or anyone else, for that matter — were in their shoes, they wouldn't make the same stupid mistakes. So I was very pleased that they didn't mess up in dumb ways. Jace was captivating and conceited. He seems to slowly ease out of his self-centered ways after a little bit of prodding and goading, and that was something else I liked.

Now, the inevitable comes. I must compare it with my favorite series, the Iron Fey. I'm going to start this as a new thing, comparing it with my favorite series so far (and for songs I'll do it with my favorite artist or song so far). It was better because a lot more twists and turns were thrown into our way. It wasn't as good because I like those relationships that are hard and the guy isn't opening up the way the girl wants, but I still like ones where it's vice-versa, where the guy is trying to get the un-budging girl. I still liked this kind of romance, though, where they both seemed to be falling for each other without noticing it until a lot later. And of course, there has to be action and heartbreak in the romance or what good is it? That's my opinion, you may disagree.

Anyway, if you don't like paranormal romance (and that's basically what I read. Of course, there will always be some mystery or action-adventure thrown in, which I also like) I wouldn't recommend it. But if you're a sucker for this stuff, by all means, dive right in! Once again, happy Halloween and happy reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for deciding to comment! I'll definitely remember to stop by your lovely blog later.

I do not accept awards or tags. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to pass them on as they rightfully deserve but thank you so much for considering my blog.

Anonymous comments or comments done by anybody without some type of account accepted on Blogger interfaces will not be allowed. This is to prevent the amount of spam I've been receiving recently. Sorry for the inconvenience!